Submitting Your Application & References
So you’ve decided to apply to work at Camp Manito-wish YMCA! Excellent! We’ll try to make the process as simple as possible, but please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
- Fill out and submit your application
- New hires are encouraged to submit their resume
- Submit three references (new hires only). References could include:
- Professors or teachers
- Employers or supervisors
- Non-immediate family members (aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.)
- Peers or friends
- Past Manito-wish Outpost trip leader
Your three references will be contacted by us to answer a few follow-up questions.
- Check your email – a member of the Camp Manito-wish Recruitment Team will contact you to set-up a virtual interview.
- Following your interview, a hiring decision or an update on your application will be communicated within two-four weeks.
Hiring Rounds/Application Deadlines:
Your application and all three references must be submitted by the last date of the Round in order to be considered an applicant during that Round. Your application, references, interview, previous experience and skill set along with the Round you applied in will all be taken into consideration when making our hiring decisions.
- Priority Rehire: September 13th-September 29th
- All Rehire (2021, 2022, 2023): September 18th - October 20th
- New Hire Applications Round I, Rehire Round 2: October 21st-11/19
- New Hire Round 2, Rehire Round 3: November 20th - December 10th
- New Hire Round 3, Rehire Round 4: December 11th - January 14th
- New Hire Round 4, Rehire Round 5: January 15th - February 18th
- All positions remaining will be filled on a first come, first serve basis following February 18th
Preparing for an Interview
After submission of your application, a Camp Recruiter or Program Director will contact you to set up an interview. As you prepare for your interview here are a few tips to help you be successful:
- Manito-wish interviews are a mixture of general questions and also behavioral based. We will ask you to reflect on your own experiences to best answer each question. Your application has given us a good background and we are now looking to learn more about your character and judgment based on your previous experiences.
- Review your life experiences with friends and family. We are looking for situations that speak to your character, wilderness experience, teaching opportunities and work with youth.
- A lot of individuals are nervous before an interview and that’s perfectly normal. We encourage you to step away from any distractions so that you may fully engage in the interview. Be confident, be yourself and smile.
- Learn about Camp - Familiarize yourself by reviewing our website
- Review the job description of the position you are applying for
- Read through the employee handbook.
- Look professional, feel professional, and be professional
- Be in a quiet space, free of distractions and movement.
- Come prepared with something to write with and questions to ask.
- Be prepared to talk about yourself and your strengths, weaknesses, and career goals.
- Make sure you have a charged phone or computer.
- Be aware of time and time zones the interview is scheduled for.
- Stand or sit at a table, not on a couch or lounge chair.
- Relax and be yourself.
Following your interview, if you are selected for employment at Camp Manito-wish you can expect to receive several additional emails from us:
- Your employment offer via ADP. This offer must be accepted to move on to the next steps.
- Once you have accepted the offer, you will receive multiple emails from Camp containing:
- Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I9) completion instructions.
- Log-In information for CampDoc so you can upload health history and your required physical examination (within the last 12 months) form
- Background Investigation Bureau link to complete your required criminal background check.
- Verification that you have read the Employee Handbook
- Sign-up for your required Outdoor Leadership School. Not sure which courses you need? Talk with your Program Director for more information.
As a part of Camp’s commitment to you we invite you to participate in our Staff Grant Program. It is our goal to foster leadership development among our seasonal staff. The purpose of the grants are to remove some of the financial pressures of working at Camp; assisting seasonal staff to provide quality leadership year after year. Examples of covered expenses may be travel to Camp, rent while you are away, or necessary gear. Ask your hiring manager for more information and apply early as funds are limited.
What to Bring
Packing for Camp can be exciting, but gathering all the gear and items needed for the adventure can sometimes be overwhelming. Here we are providing suggested packing lists to make preparation easier as you prepare for your summer at Camp Manito-wish YMCA.
Due to the physical demands and skill required to lead specific positions, a Trip Log may be required in addition to your application materials. Please download and fill out the template below if a Trip Log is required for your desired position.